0287_SHU_Preceptor Foundations_Live - 9/25/24 Class
The Preceptor Foundations Course was developed in response to the need to increase the number of prepared preceptors at Sutter Health and is designed to provide a standardized approach in preparing providers for their role as preceptors. The preceptor role has been in existence for many years and helps promote the success of new employees in the workplace, while enhancing learning outcomes creating a more supportive work environment and increase in job satisfaction. This course prepares Sutter Health employees by providing them with the roles of a preceptor at Sutter Health and provides them with tools for communication and feedback while creating a relationship between the preceptor and the preceptee. The course clarifies the expectations of Preceptors and provides information about validating competency and feeling confident in their ability to train and orient new staff.
Nurse Practitioner (NP)
Nurse, Registered (RN)
Other Healthcare Professionals
After completing this activity, learners will be able to:
1. Describe the preceptor role in terms of consistently applied strategies to acclimate and coach preceptees in the workplace.
2. Utilize adult active learning principles to create and implement individualized learning plans with preceptees, based on orientation checklists and pre/post planning tools.
3. Prioritize adult learning principles in preceptor practice by introducing learning styles and multiple teaching modalities that can be used to create experiential learning.
4. Demonstrate consistent usage of standard evaluation forms and documentation of competency verification.
5. Apply appropriate leadership styles, using timely and constructive feedback delivered using common language, to support the development of each preceptee.
6. Formulate individualized strategies, via identification of preceptee phases to meet them where they are at in their learning process, to acclimate preceptees in the workplace.
Disclosure of Financial or In-Kind Commercial Support & Conflict of Interest
No one involved in the planning or presentation of this educational activity have any relevant financial relationship(s) to disclose with ineligible companies whose primary business is producing, marketing, selling, re-selling, or distributing healthcare products used by or on patients. No financial or in-kind commercial support was received to produce or promote this educational activity.
– Provider Designee/Verification: Kerri Maya, PhD(c), MSL, RN, NPD-BC
In support of improving patient care, Sutter Health, is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), and the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Credit Designation Statement
Sutter Health designates this LIVE activity for a maximum of 6.50 continuing professional development contact hours for nurses. Learners should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Note to Other Disciplines: AMA PRA Category 1 Credits HOURS™ Continuing Medical Education is acceptable for meeting the continuing education requirements for Pharmacists, Physician Assistants, Psychologists, Registered Nurses, and Respiratory Care Practitioners. For other disciplines, please check with the regulatory board for your discipline to confirm what type of credits meet the continuing education requirements. Continuing education hours for nurses accredited by ANCC, via Joint Accreditation.
Attendance & Credit Claiming
Enter the 6-letter attendance verification code when prompted in the Attendance Course Object within the course outline. Please review the course instructions for pictorials of the steps to take when registering for the course.
- 6.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ Hour(s)
In support of improving patient care, Sutter Health, is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Sutter Health certifies this Live activity was designated for a maximum of 6.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ Hour(s). Non-physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 6.50 ANCC
This course/program has been awarded 6.50 ANCC contact hour(s). Sutter Health is accredited provider of nursing continuing professional development. Learners should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 6.50 CA BRN
This activity is approved for 6.50 contact hour(s) by Sutter Health, which is an approved provider by the California Board of Registered Nursing. (Provider Number 17182). Learners should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.